DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Romance Author BL Bonita

BL Bonita turns up the heat while the reader turns on the air conditioner with tales of erotic romance. BL is absolutely devoted to family (her fiancé’s a retired Marine Captain) and a love of the grandeur of mountains and pristine lakes. BL was raised in a remote region of Northern Ontario where airplanes were as necessary as firewood, black bears lived a few forests down and occasionally dropped by uninvited, and where travel to a grocery store was determined by seasons, not convenience.

When BL writes about the crispness of mountain air on a nose, the crackle of glazed snow underfoot, and blazing sunsets that go on forever, such as in “Beautiful Criminal,” she pens these scenes from firsthand experience. “Beautiful Criminal’s” Gabriel Miller is a pilot, inspired by the men who flew in and out of the resort BL was raised on. The hum of the Cessna’s engine in an unblemished sky is a memory BL shares. The plane crash and Miller’s awakening to a beautiful woman in a wilderness cabin? All part of the fun, imagination, and romantic mind of BL Bonita.

BL has seen several of her stories published. One of the earliest, “Pathway to Paradise” established the setting and intensity readers have come to know and enjoy -- “From the concrete jungle to the wilds of Northern Ontario, Sianna Williams accepts a management job at a wilderness resort. Coerced to travel by boat with a man who is both unbearable and arousing, her fate is sealed when the boat takes on water. They are forced ashore to spend a night under the stars, where nothing but the wind and the wildlife can hear her passionate cries.”

If you enjoy realism infused by one who has lived it, and romantic liaisons sure to singe your cheeks, be sure to check out BL Bonita.
http://www.bl-bonita.com/

Q) How did you meet your fiancé?

A) My honey was on assignment in Congo. During his evening break he happened by a site online where I was promoting my work. He sent me a message asking if I was interested in writing his life story, that he wasn’t sure how to go about it, and after some lengthy conversations about his past I was very intrigued. We talked for several months and I began a rough draft based on our emails. We became fast friends and decided to meet. Now, this sounds corny and clichéd, but truth be told when we finally met face-to-face almost three years ago that was it. Our fate was sealed when we broke the hotel bed (hehe). He retired after twenty years in the service and now he devotes his time to airbrush art and reading my steamy books.

Q) In your mind, what’s the single most important component you place in your stories?

A) Real people. I like heroes who are not destined to be the hero, and leading women who know how to survive. For example, Gabe in “Beautiful Criminal” is a bad-boy to put it mildly and Mima wields an ax better than most men. I grew up around these character types and I believe they are interesting, often mysterious and misunderstood, which is definitely worth writing about.

Q) Curiosity: Having been raised in the remote regions, where do you and your family vacation for a change of pace?

A) In all honesty, I have yet to take a real vacation. I've lived in basically every corner of Canada, done many a road trip in my life, so I guess that's a bit like a vacation. Although I tell you, there were times I had to siphon gas to get home. LOL But soon (shaking fist) I’ll be spending my days frolicking somewhere on a hot beach where snow is just a distant memory.

Q) When not writing, how do you spend your time?

A) I love to walk, not only for the exercise but to clear my mind. Although let’s face it, a writer’s mind is never really clear. Other than that I lead a very normal life shopping for groceries in nothing but a trench coat and washing dishes in my spandex cat suit. Oh, and chasing my man down to erase the candid photos he likes to take of me on the toilet. I’ll let you decide which of those three is the truth.

Q) Any parting thoughts for your readers?

A) Keep an open mind when considering purchasing a book. I know many readers like to stick with authors they know. I’m a huge reader myself, and for me, the blurb and cover sells me—not the author’s name. You never know what you might find if you take a chance on a new-to-you author, and besides, some of the unknowns could be the next Nora Roberts. Even she had to start somewhere.

Thank you for interviewing me, David. I had a blast!
DA Kentner is an author and journalist. http://www.kevad.net/

12 comments:

  1. Thank you having me, David! I had a blast answering your questions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, BL.
    I'm grateful you shared some time with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the English language has escaped me this morning. Thank you "for" having me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great interview! What a life you've had so far, BL. Does hubby really take pics of you on the loo? I can believe you wash up in a spandex cat suit ... or maybe the other way around. I shall be in torment until I find out now!

    "The crackle of glazed snow underfoot" - Like it David. Tres evocative. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Rach! I'm so glad you popped by. Hmmm...I kinda like tormenting you a little. hehe j/k

    Truth be told, he really does take candid photos of me all the time. He has one I've been unable to steal and delete, and it's of me on the porcelain throne wearing a t-shirt that said "I can explain." LOL It used to be my favorite shirt. :-/ He swung open the door just as I was looking up and my facial expression is ridiculous. I swear...he's gonna get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Rachel,
    Thanks so much for commenting.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. BL is an intriguing lady and great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved hearing about your real life romance, BL. I think your books sound fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jerri! Thank you for dropping in and for your lovely comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Jerri!
    I really appreciate your support of what we do here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great interview, David! BL, nice to meet you. I'm interested in learning more about your characters, and really, fabulously interesting way to meet your future hubby!
    I'm adding your book to my reading list, and wishing you great success in writing and marriage.
    Renee Vickers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renee!
    Great to "see" you. Yes, definitely give BL's books a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Renee! Wow...thank you so much! Yes, our relationship is unique in how we met and that we both came from opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm flattered and excited that you want to read my work. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete