DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Medium and Author Maureen Hancock

Maureen Hancock didn't just write a book – this energetic and profound lady lives and embodies every word.

"The Medium Next Door" is an account of Maureen's experiences as a psychic who, in her words, "sees and hears dead people" and the help to individuals and law enforcement she has provided over the years. But it is also a book designed to provide reflection and insight the reader can use to improve their own circumstances and health.

A standup comedian, Maureen infuses her gift of laughter into all she does. Be it with her readings, assisting to locate a lost child, or comforting those grieving, Maureen extols the joys and miracles of life and how each of us can find peace and the strength to move forward.

Children have been and remain a top priority. To that end Maureen co-founded the not-for-profits Seeds of Hope, which provides holistic care for cancer patients and support for parents who have lost children, and Mission for the Missing, providing assistance and equipment in missing children and adult cases.

Though already nationally renowned, Maureen is about to enter all of our homes through a reality TV show scheduled this fall courtesy Disney ABC. So, don't turn that dial, because there is much more to come from Maureen Hancock.
http://www.maureenhancock.com/

Q) What is the one message you hope "The Medium Next Door" leaves with your readers?

A) The one message I hope my book "The Medium Next Door" leaves with my readers is that those that have gone home before us are simply not dead; just different. The bonds of love cannot be broken by this temporary, physical separation. We all have experienced losing a loved one. In my book, I help readers understand that the layers of grief can be peeled away by opening up to the possibility of the continuity of life.

Q) A wife and mother devoted to her family, yet so busy making personal appearances, and now a reality TV show, how do you balance your time with your loved ones?

A) In dealing with death on a daily basis, I've come to realize what a gift each day is. Witnessing families squeezing every morsel of joy out of their remaining time together has helped me to align my own priorities. I made a promise to myself and my family a few years back when I found I was trying to "squeeze in" family time. I now vow to work to live, not live to work. I make sure to schedule my charity work during the day when my children are at school. My events take place a few nights a week after sports, homework and a hot meal. Time is the one thing we will never get back~I choose to use it wisely and carve memories in my heart.

Q) You are on the verge of becoming a "household name," a celebrity recognized everywhere you go. Some handle such notoriety with grace, some spiral out of control. Are you and your family prepared for the inevitable changes fame brings?

A) I will admit I am a bit anxious about becoming a "household name." Thankfully, I am grounded in my life's mission and feel humbled to be able to share my message with the world. I've been offered a handful of television opportunities over the years and am proud to say I turned them down. The time just wasn't right, the networks didn't have my best interest at heart, and my children were too young. I plan to take one day at a time and remain true to my beliefs and my ultimate goal. No matter what road fame takes me down, I will have my boys on one arm and my husband on the other.

Q) To whom or what do you attribute your innate, quick wit and charm?

A) I attribute my quick wit and charm to my mother, Gracie. Growing up she was the loud, boisterous, strong-willed Irish woman who woke me to do chores early on a Saturday morning. I shrank in the front row pew at Sunday Mass as she bellowed hymns at the top of her lungs. At a family function, the whole room would gather around Gracie's table as she told a joke or shared a funny story. I now wake my children to do chores, I sing in the back pew at church, and I attract a crowd at any event as I share her stories which have now become my stories. I hold my head high realizing that I am slowly becoming my mother.

Q) Life is about moving forward, and you have accomplished so very much in your life. What is your ultimate goal? How would you like to be remembered?

A) My ultimate goal in doing this work is to teach people about living life to the fullest before we leave our leased vehicle behind. I hope to relieve the pain of the masses and show people how to open up to infinite possibilities. My vehicle will be public speaking, additional books, and growing my not-for-profit charities. I hope my mission to give back is contagious.

I would like to be remembered as the girl next door with a twist who never judged, loved unconditionally, gave back in humble ways, and touched thousands of lives with her light-hearted message of unending love and life. I hope the dash between my years is in bold and holds many memories my children can be proud of. Oh, and I'd like to be remembered as a kick-arse "Overseas Operator" bridging the gap between here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment