DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Author Judith Leger

Judith Leger's personal essay "A Heart of Compassion" appeared in "Chicken Soup for Mother and Son Soul," and again as one of the 101 Best in "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Tales of Golf and Sport."


Yet, surprisingly, this talented writer's preferred genre is paranormal/fantasy romance. From the mysterious specters in "Heart's Reunion" to an exotic white dragon living on a desolate world in the soon-to-be-released "Dragon's Wish," Ms Leger explores magic, illusion, relationships that should never be, and how love can overcome all obstacles – even death and planets a universe away.

Residing in Louisiana with her husband and family, Ms Leger is also a gifted artist who readily shares her love of horses through her artwork. And, she is a lady who isn't the least bit shy – about anything. Ms Leger can be found chatting on facebook or any number of blogs and Internet chat rooms. But, that's what's so special about her. In an age where the world has shrunk to a pinhead, Ms Leger remains approachable and always willing to take a few moments and talk with her readers or folks who simply have a question she might have the answer to. http://judithleger.weebly.com/index.html

Q) It took you 1½ years to submit "Dragon's Wish" for publication. What was it about this story that was so hard for you to part with?

A) Each author has a book of their heart. One that is more special than any other of their works. To me, Dragon Wish is that book. The story evolved in so many ways during the years I worked on it. I love the characters and the story. I hope once it's released the readers will fall in love with them too.

Q) Where does your intense interest in magic and paranormal come from?

A) My mother believed in the meaning of dreams. I followed in her footsteps. I am a deeply religious person but that is very personal and private to me. Not sure how I came to love magical things but I read Tolkien back in the '70's. When his other books came out, I was ecstatic. I wanted more. Deep down inside, I believe in magic and I wanted that magic to become a part of my writing.

Q) "A Heart of Compassion" is a piece of your life. How difficult was the decision to share that look inside you with the world?

A) At first I wasn't going to submit it to a publisher, but after several friends read it, they persuaded me to send it to Chicken Soup. It was contracted after about a year, then after the book was released Chicken Soup contacted me again to notify me that the story had been selected to appear in their 101 best sports book. I was so thrilled. The story was my mother’s day gift from my youngest son. Not a physical gift but one of the Spirit. Those you never forget and will always cherish.

Q) As a child, what books captivated your imagination and inspired you to write?

A) LOL, why Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon, of course. What young girl in the late 60’s and early 70’s didn’t love those teen mystery solvers? I guess you’d call them the "Twilight" of their times. I really adored Trixie’s stories because there was an underlying hint of romance in the story, too. I suppose this is what prepared me for discovering romance books.

Q) You have two teenage sons at home yet. How do they feel about "Mom" writing tales of romance?

A) They think my friends on line are a part of my imaginary characters I write about. They just go with the flow as far as my writing goes. I guess they consider it one of their Mom's hobbies. Little do they know.

Q) You are so pleasant and outgoing. How many hours a day do you spend writing, and, how do you balance your writing career and family?

A) Why, thank you, David! That’s a wonderful compliment coming from a man I greatly admire. I promise you, balancing family, work, and writing is not an easy task. As an author, I have to set time aside for the writing. I usually do this at night. Some evenings, I can write for several hours, others, I’m lucky to manage fifteen minutes. Is it worth it? Oh, yes, always. I love to tell my stories and hopefully, I will continue to do so for many years to come! Thank you, David for having me here today.

5 comments:

  1. It's always nice to hear more from (and about!) Judith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Amber!! Love you, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Judy, .

    Great interview! I just wanted to say I really loved Love's True Enchantment. Best of luck with Dragon Wish. I'm looking forward to its release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see Dragon Wish come out. Great interview, Judith & David. We all hope you continue to write these wonderful stories for years and years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, Ali, and Cherise. Three of my favorite people and writers.
    Thank you very much for stopping by. You're all welcome here anytime.

    ReplyDelete