DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Author, Journalist Margaret Rose

Many writers say how they have wanted to write their entire life. Multi-published author, journalist, advertising manager, copywriter, editor, wife, and mother Margaret Rose has done just that. By the way, she also raises roses.
Her first published piece appeared in McCall's Magazine – while she was in grade school.
After many years of writing magazine articles, Ms. Rose ventured into, and found, a successful niche in romance. However, she is so much more than a superb romance writer. Ms. Rose loves and is totally devoted to her family. And she isn’t the least bit shy about saying so.
As such, drawing on her love of her children, she has recently seen her initial children's book "First Spring" published, with more on the way. Simply put, her children have inspired Ms. Rose to share with the world the joy they have instilled in her heart.

"First Spring" is a poetic story of a toddler discovering the wonders of a world previously hidden under layers of snow. Marina Movshina's eye-catching artwork completes a recipe that produces a reading experience children and parents will savor again and again. http://margaretrosewrites.blogspot.com/

Q) You open your life to the world, not just through your stories, but on your blogs as well. There isn’t much a reader can't learn about you. Why is sharing who you are so important to you?

A) Thank you very much for inviting me to share my books and ideas with all your readers.

I hope there is a lot of information my blogs and websites don't divulge! However, the Internet has created an opportunity for people to connect. My life is so much richer for many of the people I have met online. Many are now friends I send Christmas and birthday cards to. I've had lunch with some and even vacationed with them. They teach and support me, which is crucial. The readers, authors, and friends I reach out to don't want to have my latest book promotion crammed at them constantly. That's why we fast forward television commercials and switch radio channels! Having a very good understanding of how to use social media enables me to become as real as I want to be in an online community or to an individual. I am not a character in my books. Writing is what I do. If I can get you to know me as a person, I think the propensity to look at my promotional posts, and yes, even buy one of my books increases.

Q) Considering how much your children inspire you, why did you choose to wait until now to publish your first children's book?

A) *laughs* I've been busy raising those little monsters! In all honesty, I never dreamed of publishing a book of any sort. I'd had it drilled into my head in college that I was no good at character or plot development. I found the methods taught for play writing to be tedious and restrictive. In short, I believed that professor. I'd followed my dream to become a professional writer many years ago. Four years ago, I finally eked my way into fan fiction and then romance. With a small amount of success under my belt, I took out First Spring on a whim and submitted it. Lucky for me, Guardian Angels Publishing snapped it up.

Q) Your life is so busy, how do you set aside time for your family?

A) It's always a pleasure to get to know new people. When the boys were younger, I did most of their outings and school things with them. Now that they're older, my husband does a lot of those things. He definitely pulls his weight around the house and with the family. Some things are sacred to me, however. Meals together, tucking them in and waking them up, sending them off to school and greeting them personally when they come home are things I do every day. We go to church as a family and volunteer there. My husband I attend their concerts and events, and volunteer for their activities. We feel strongly that we shouldn't just drop our kids off and never become involved.

Q) There is a surge lately in books infusing young adult novels with sex. As a mother and author, how do you feel about this?

A) I'm planning a YA book this summer, but there's no reason for this particular story to include sex. These books can be highly entertaining without it, but publishers will confirm and I won't deny, that sex sells. Many of these young adult books are wonderful if you choose age-appropriate stories. Pre-read the book or at least scan it beforehand, and discuss it afterward if you've given the green light to read.

As parents, we have boundaries in our home about how sex affects our children. I think a lot of the YA books coming out discuss sexual identity and acceptance. I'm supportive of that as long as my child understands that their questions should come to us. Even the questions that make me squirm or angry. I don't want my child to think letting him read a book about sexually active teenagers is also giving him some sort of unspoken permission to behave similarly. I won't abdicate my parenting responsibilities by giving my child a fiction book to teach life lessons instead of giving my time.

Q) For the countless mothers who have cooed and whispered impromptu poems and stories in their child's ear, and told they should be a writer, what advice do you have for them?

A) Write these poems and stories down. First and foremost, they are a gift to your child, precious beyond any kind of fame you might experience should they be published.

Second, learn the mechanics of good writing, so if you decide to submit your work to a publisher, you won't be rejected on poor technical skill.

I don't recommend writers to collaborate with an illustrator in advance. It's hard enough to get your manuscript contracted without worrying whether the publisher will also like your art.

Publishers are extremely busy, and children's publishers even more so. Many children's book publishers are closed to submissions because of extremely long backlogs, many require an agent, others accept submissions only certain months of the year. You must put your very best foot forward and be prepared for rejections. Many of us are willing to help newbies navigate the terrain. Publishing is complicated and fast-paced. Reach out.

14 comments:

  1. David, Thank you so much for inviting me to talk to your fans and friends. It's always a pleasure to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and my Grandkids love your book "First Spring" We read it every time they come over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David....

    @Dawn, so wonderful you came by! I'm glad your grandchildren love the book. Huge hugs. I'll tell my son, too.

    Margaret Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Dawn.
    So glad you dropped by. Sadly, my youngest grandchild is now nine. Haven't figured out how to stop them from growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I can't wait to read First Spring.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by Cheryl. It's a short, sweet read for a busy woman like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "First Spring" truly is a delightful story. I know you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, I had a college professor who told me I'd never make it as a writer and he was wrong, just like the one who discouraged you. I hope your work inspires kids not to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview David. The book is delightful.
    My 11th book is just out, and I am interested in being interviewed or being a guest Blogger on your terrific site.

    Margot Finke
    http://www.margotfinke.com
    http://taconiclaude.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Ms Collins.
    Thank you very much for dropping by.
    Perseverance pays.

    Thank you, Ms Finke. I'm sending you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent interview. A pleasure getting to know you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ms Rose truly is a wonderful lady.
    Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *waves wildly* So sorry I didn't get back here over the past few days! David, thank you for managing all the housekeeping.

    Janet, it is always a pleasure talking to you about writing as a profession. I, too, am glad your professor was wrong! You've had a tremendous career.

    Margot, I know David's readers would enjoy hearing from you.

    Susan, thank you. I hope we'll meet again soon at my own blog.

    ReplyDelete