DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Internationally Acclaimed Author Poppet

The first interview GateHouse News Service published of mine was with enigmatic author Poppet, who had recently taken an abrupt turn from writing articles for health digests and released “Darkroom,” an unnerving novel of horror and sadism. The success of “Darkroom” turned a page for Poppet, and I thought it might be fun to check in with her to see what has happened in the fifteen months since the book’s release.

I can tell you Poppet has written and published more than ten books since then from horror to romance to the children’s book “Fey’s Adventures.” “Fey’s Adventures” is the story of a six-year-old girl whose innocent, albeit precocious, life in her backyard is only limited by her limitless imagination and ability to see the beauty and mysteries of nature through her child’s eye. Fey meets elves, rides monsters, walks on the wind, and visits whimsical lands. Needless to say, this tale of innocence and joy has rightfully captured the attention of parents around the world.

As one mother so aptly stated: “It's been a challenge as a parent of a young one to find media that isn't scary. I've kept my kid away from television as much as possible, which may have added to her sensitivity about violence, intense chases, bad guys, etc. The point is, Fey's Adventures is offering us a magical tale that is exciting and engaging for all ages. Or at least ages 43 and 5 1/2.”

Poppet is a storyteller, and as such sees inspiration all around her. We can only wait and see where she leads us next.
http://authorpoppet.weebly.com/
http://authorpoppet.wordpress.com/

Q) “Darkroom” was raw terror, “Erra” is contemporary romantic suspense enveloped within struggles between mythology and religion, and then there is “Fey’s Adventures.” Why don’t you limit your writing to any one genre or subject?

A) The straightforward answer to that question is: I don't like limitations.

People like to pigeonhole. But a rock band can have ballads and manic hardcore music, so why can't an author have the same scope of expression?

I started out wanting to write for the children's market, but once I'd tried adult fiction I found I quite liked it. As for subject, I'd have to say my work includes a theme. In almost all of my books you will find an undercurrent (at the very least) of mythology and symbolism.

Q) What or who inspired Fey and her ability to look beyond the obvious?

A) I like Irish fairy-tales. (They are alive with beings inhabiting nature.) I wanted to introduce a young mind to this incredible cultural history, in a contemporary way, while also using the moment to educate them on preserving nature (the planet) and learning through Fey that we are responsible for our actions. Fey was mostly inspired by Druidic lore.

Q) Will Fey reappear in another book? Let’s be honest, if she doesn’t you’ll have some disappointed fans.

A) Fey was a once off excursion. I'm sure I'll return to writing Children's fiction again one of these days, and then Fey can have more adventures. I'm aiming a little higher this year, trying my hand at YA and fantasy (for the first time).

Q) As an artist, you have been exploring the growing tendency for novels to have video trailers and taking said videos to another level all their own. Do you believe book videos may become a medium of interest beyond the books they are designed to promote?

A) Some people are great fans of video trailers (there are websites dedicated to them), but I've found them to be mostly viewed by people who are already my fans.
http://youtu.be/r_l4Tg3g09I

Q) When you are writing, what genre are you most comfortable in?

A) Thriller / Horror / Supernatural. Despite writing romance novels, I still struggle to be comfortable in the genre (and tend to use them as metaphors).

Q) Any parting thoughts for your readers?

A) The only boundaries we face, are those imposed on us by ourselves. If you remove your restrictions (mentally), you will find there is very little you can't accomplish once you put your mind (and time) to it. David pointed out how I hop around genres (this was once frowned upon). I chose to ignore *the done thing*, and *do my own thing*, and I've been relatively successful at it. Don't ever allow other people to restrict your creativity, do what feels right and let the details take care of themselves. If you are a writer, your only concern is to write. And whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability, push yourself to reach higher (and deeper), and be willing to go to uncomfortable places mentally. When you step outside your comfort zone, your work feels more realistic even if it's just fiction. My only other advice is: Don't think it will get easier, and don't expect success overnight. Hard work usually only pays dividends years from now. Just trust your path and follow your passion.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you David!

    Speaking of book trailers, I thought you might like to include one for your readers to view

    http://youtu.be/r_l4Tg3g09I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poppet is an incredible author! I have read just about every one of her books across several genres and enjoyed each one for it's own merits. My favourite so far is still Clawback which surprises me because it is a genre that I usually do not read at all. Thank you Poppet for writing! I still look forward to every new book you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, CaliGirlReviews and Errol Black, for taking the time to stop by and comment.

    ReplyDelete