DA Kentner is an award winning author who also enjoys meeting and interviewing authors of many genres.

As author KevaD, my novel "Whistle Pass" won the 2013 EPIC eBook Award for suspense. Previously, in 2012, it won a Rainbow Award in the historical category. "Whistle Pass" is currently out of print, though I'm considering finding a new publisher, or self-publishing the novel. What do you think?

"The Caretaker", a 3,000 word short story, won 'Calliope' magazine's 18th annual short story competition. Click the blue ribbon to view their site and entry rules for this year's short fiction competition.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Intuitive Author Jim Wawro

In 1921, Carl Jung theorized intuition as “irrational function” and “perception via the unconscious.” Psychology and science continue to try and understand where intuition comes from and how it plays in our daily lives, potentially the universe, as well as how intuition can be harnessed.

Cornell Law School graduate Jim Wawro chose a different route. Utilizing everyday terms, Wawro wrote “Ask Your Inner Voice,” a book designed to aid each of us not just in understanding what intuition is, but its significance as inner wisdom and how to reap the benefits of that wisdom.

While on the surface the subject may sound complicated, credit Wawro’s vast experience in communication as an attorney and public speaker with reducing the complex into a written dialogue designed to be discussed over coffee or the neighbor’s fence, and since we’re talking about a book… a very enjoyable read that includes references to historical figures as well as interviews with contemporary notables such as Oprah Winfrey and modern day spiritual messenger Neal Donald Walsch.

We all have intuition: that unexplainable turn right when logic said ‘left,’ carrying an umbrella on a cloudless day, the trip we opt to reschedule for no apparent reason, or our child we suddenly decide to drive to school one morning instead of letting him or her walk.

Why do we do these things and how can we best tap into this unconscious wisdom and make it conscious? “Ask Your Inner Voice” provides those answers and more.
http://activateintuition.com/

Q) Briefly, when and how did you first realize intuition was something each of us could tap into and use to our advantage?

A) When I was trying cases, I would often get powerful intuitive “hits” that usually proved exactly correct—particularly in the jury selection process where intuition is about the only thing you have to go on. As I got comfortable with using intuition, I realized that I could actively call on it to get meaningful answers. I’m basically a trial lawyer, not a psychic, and I soon came to understand that intuition is simply an inherent human power that everyone has if they want to develop it.

Q) What is it about intuition that caused you to explore it to the depths of writing a book?

A) After experiencing several instances of surprisingly accurate intuition, I decided to look into what has been written throughout history about intuition to see what more I could do with it. And I found that not much has in fact been written about intuition. So, since I found it so valuable in my life, I thought I could make a contribution by writing a basic book about how anyone can actively use their own intuition.

Q) You headed a 1400-lawyer firm, regularly lecture on a variety of topics, and have written articles in a growing number of journals and magazines. So, I have to ask, did or have you met with resistance to your belief in our ability to accept intuition as a personal wisdom we can each empower?

A) Everyone has had a remarkable hunch, coincidence, or intuition come to them at least once in their lifetime. So people generally accept that they do receive valid inner messages that they should pay attention to. In fact, if you don’t acknowledge the validity of inner messages from conscience, for example, society calls you a sociopath. The only real resistance I’ve encountered is as to how much to trust intuition; whether to rely on intuition instead of “cold, hard facts.” But I’ve rarely met an individual who felt comfortable ignoring a strong “gut feeling,” and that goes for some pretty tough customers, including police officers and trial lawyers.

Q) How has channeling intuition changed your life?

A) That story is told in Ask Your Inner Voice:

It happened at about 6:20 p.m. just as it was getting dark on a rainy Southern California winter evening. After driving into the street-level secured parking for my condominium complex, I got out of my car as the lattice-work metal garage door was sliding closed. When the door slid to within about four feet of closing, a person ran from the sidewalk into the garage. He was about 5'8", weighed about 140 pounds, and was in his early twenties. I am much bigger than he was. He had a bandana pulled up around his nose. As he ran past the closing gate, I heard him pump a round into the firing chamber of the pistol he was holding.

He ran toward me and demanded the gold Rolex I was wearing. I was not afraid but I was very alert. I was not at all thinking of being spiritual. I could not see him clearly because he was backlit by the fading daylight from the garage door. He repeated the demand. By this time he was nearly next to me. I took off the watch and gave it to him. I was standing by the open car door. At this point he said: “Turn around and lie down in the car.” My first thought was that he wanted to kill me.

I paused for a moment trying to decide whether to attempt to overpower him or to, as I then thought, let him kill me. I decided to try to overpower him. When I got that thought, almost immediately I received a deep inner knowing that the reason for his demand was only that he wanted a clean getaway. I paused for an instant to consider whether to follow that inner feeling. He repeated the command that I turn around and lie down in the car. I decided to follow the inner knowing. At that point he simply ran away. There I stayed for a moment, completely unhurt, oddly relieved that the garish Rolex was out of my life, and feeling compassion for a young man whose life was supported by armed robbery. The emotion of the experience was gone within the hour.

I repeated the incident to a friend, who commented “You just bet your life on your inner voice.”

Q) Why should a working mother of three read “Ask Your Inner Voice”?

A) Mothers know that they often have to use their intuition to make decisions in the best interests of their family based on incomplete information. Ask Your Inner Voice sets out a few, historically proven steps for them to use to verify that they have connected with their intuition and that the information they have received from within is reliable. If you’d like to be centered and to make wise decisions with confidence, this book’s for you.

Q) Any parting comments for your readers?

A) You don’t have to wait for intuition to come to you. You can ask your inner voice any question about finances, health, or relationships and get reliable answers. Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have to say I'm impressed to hear a member of the legal profession advocate for the use of intuition, but I'm not really surprised. I'd image that when dealing with those who want to deceive or are ignorant to truths, your intuition could be a very handy tool.

    This looks like an interesting book to read. Thanks for sharing!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Renee.
    It really is an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete